Sunday, June 14, 2009

New Project - 1973 VW Bug

I've been thinking about a bug (original style not a new one) for a few years and searching around for the last few months. My good friend Mike had a couple bug's, a '69 and '70 and the parents of another friend Chris had one too. Why a bug? Simple ...
  • In this ever increasingly complex world there is something attractive about simple
  • Parts are inexpensive and easily available compaired to other older cars
  • Everyone knows what it is and either owned one or knows some who did
Its actually a super beetle. I was't specifically looking for a super, but when I came across this one I had to get it. New engine and super clean body. The car was originally from Texas, and it has a little surface rust but nothing real bad.

This will be a project, its in a bunch of pieces with now. The transmission and engine are in it and it is driveable, but nothing else is. No glass, no fenders, no hood, no trunk, no doors, no interior other then the driver's seat and the dash board ... but I think that I have most all of the parts in boxes. There are new wheel bearings, new brake drums and shoes, new glass molding ... lots of new parts.

Eric helped me bring it home with his pickup and flatbed trailer. We filled the entire pack of the truck with parts. Brought it home 6/12/09

The engine is a 1600 dual port and is totally rebuilt. It has about 4 miles on it and 3 of them where crusing up and down the road in front of the house. Its nice to have a fresh motor, I'll need to be sure to break it in right.

No comments:

Post a Comment