Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Carb gaskets ...

I had a little time tonight the other night to look at the carb some more, I'm still having the problem of not wanting to idle once its warmed up. A few people have told me to look at the gasket between the carb and intake.


The gasket was sticking out the side, and didn't look real good so I thought that it would be a perfect place to start. When I took the carb off this is what I found...



Nice! They are rubber and look like they where cut out of a bike intertube using a butter knife. I made a new gasket using actual gasket material, but I still get the same results, won't idle when its warmed up enough for the choke to be off.

I think that I'm done with the carb for a little while, I need to start working on the body so that I can get it painted this year.

2 comments:

  1. If the previous owner did not rebuild the carb, the idle circuit may be plugged. This would allow the car to run with the choke on, because of the extra gas. I have experienced this a few times with old motorcycles that have been left to sit for extended periods of time with gas in the carb. You should also check the manifold boots and attachments at the haeds. However, I do not think this is your problem. A massive air leak would probably make the car undrivable, even with the choke on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, check all of the vacume plugs on the carb to make sure they do not have any leaks.

    ReplyDelete