Thursday, March 18, 2010

Hidden tresures

Last night I spent some more time in the shed. I wanted to get the fenders, doors and hoods wrapped up in foam for next weekend to protect them from scratches while traveling, but after I had the first door wrapped up I thought about the mess it was going to make when it got to the painter. And since we are going to put the parts on the body after everything is painted, I would have to bring it all back home ... blah blah. Forget it. I'm not going to wrap them.

I did need to see how many (if any) fender bolts that I have so that I can buy what I need to finish. Door screws. I needed to find those too. The screws should really get painted so they match.

All of my parts in boxes that are laying across a couple wooden palets to keep them off the floor. I started my bolt/screw search on the lefthand side and this is where the fun started. I found that I have a bunch of new motor tin, like an entire new fan housing. Found some new window moldings, a new speedo cable and new hood lid molding.

I thought that I had came across the jackpot when I opened a battery box and found ... all of the original fender bolts and washers! There was also a set of new chrome valve covers in there as well, plus a bunch of other bolts and things.

Then came the next couple of boxes ... super cool ... where I found 2 brand new running boards! 2 new mirrors, entire tail light assemblies, new front turn signals, new fender molding , and a bag of all NEW fender bolts and washers! I need to keep the fender bolts and molding out when I start putting things together.

I knew I had some new things but I didn't know that I had all of this. Sweet!

I came across a few other things that I needed and totally forgot about. The little part that goes over the real license that has a little light in it. That would have been a bummer if I forgot to have that painted. I also came across the original tail lights, turn signals and mirrors. They where all sun damaged, cracked and faded. Now I see why the new parts where ordered.

A found a few other things as well. All in all, some nice surprises.

I was trying to figure out how the painter was going to paint the areas around the dash. Since the current color is light powdery blue and the new color is going to be a much darker blue, I think there would have been an obvious line ... so I also stated to take the dash out. The dash has been hacked up and has paint on the drivers side and is kinda a mess. Plus I need to replace the speedo because the needle on the current one is broken. The dash isn't out yet, but its close to coming out. I need to find out how to disconnect the vent and fan dials ...

Went to bed stoked about my new finds.

No comments:

Post a Comment