Sunday, March 7, 2010

Time for the painter ...

I met a friend or a friend during a Super Bowl party, and he knows how to paint cars and does body work. He's been in the business for a number of years and has complete facilities at his home. Nice!

We talked for a little while and he was interested in my bug project. So a couple of weeks ago he stopped by and took a good look at the current state of the car. He was happy to see how solid the body is and how very little rust the car had. He agreed that now would be the right time to paint the car, before putting all of the peices back on.

I feel confident about his experiance and quality and I've been open to his suggestions and recommendations. He's been doing it for a lot of years, and what do I really know ... not much. The extent of my body work experiance started with my friend Chris's 73 Camaro in high school and has only been a couple of other small scratches and dents. Not much experiance ... and it shows. I try to do a good job, but it never looks as good as it could.

Anyway, now its up me to pick a color. I have to do it soon so that it can get mixed up and into his hands before he gets the car ... which will be at the end of the month. Yep, in only a couple weeks the bug will be taking a MAJOR step forward in the process of getting back onto the road. He's going to fix up the small rust patches at the lower corners of the back window, prep and paint the car. He thinks that it will take him about a week or two from start to finish.

Once everything is painted, we're going to hang the bumpers, doors, hood and rear deck lid while its at his place. that way we can do any quick touch-ups if we need to, but more importantly, I don't have to worry about scratching the parts when I bring them home or have them get scratched sitting around before it gets warm enough in my shed to get them put back on.

Things to do:
  • Picking a color
  • Get the paint
  • Find the fender molding
  • Order fender fasteners and hardware
  • Find or order bolts for the hood and rear deck lid
  • Find or order screws for the doors.

I don't need to put the molding for the hood and deck lid on right now. I can place something temporary between the lids and body until I get home. Same goes for the door hardware and latches.

Today I was thinking of a green ... I feel like Brett Farve ... I can't make up my mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment